Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Scraping the Barrel

An even quieter Monday: Nek disappeared like the wind on Sunday and then decided to have himself a holiday or, as he put it, take his child to [rest of sentence drowned out by my screaming]. That meant Chang Poon was also mysteriously absent, as was everyone else. You can't win with these people: if you're nice to them they think you're a soft touch, if you're horrible to them they're scared, but only of your presence, so they stay away. At my wits' end, I addressed Nek in the universal language of money and told him I'd cut 1,000 baht for every day that no progress is made, starting...now.

Will it work? This morning he claimed he'd finish the french windows today and 'five or six' of the boys would paint the walls upstairs. We'll see. Meanwhile I have a spare 1,000 baht to pay for an extractor fan.

Kitti finished his job and got paid. Now he'll only have to help me put up the lanterns outside on the day. My sole complaint is that he rather eccentrically fixed it so that only one of the twin bedroom lamps can be switched on from the door, while both are controlled from the bedside switch, but I decided to think of that as a feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment